Nuts and seeds are beneficial to your health and wellbeing. Besides tasting great, there are many reasons why people should eat nuts and seeds as part of a healthy eating plan.
Why are nuts and seeds beneficial?
Nuts and seeds are –
• High in protein for muscle growth and repair.
• Low GI to sustain your energy levels for longer periods of time and help keep you feeling fuller for longer.
• Nuts contain healthy polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats.
• A source of fibre to promote a healthy digestive system.
• Contain essential vitamins and minerals required in your daily diet for general health and wellbeing.
Almonds – vitamin E, fibre, magnesium, phosphorus.
Cashews – iron, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc, copper.
Hazelnuts – fibre, vitamin E, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, manganese.
Pepita seeds – iron, zinc, potassium, magnesium, vitamin C.
Nuts and weight management
Eating nuts and seeds can also help you maintain a healthy body weight. Due to the high protein content of nuts, they can help keep you feeling fuller. A small handful of nuts are a great energy snack.
How much should I eat?
Enjoying a handful of nuts and seeds (30-40g a day) most days of the week is beneficial to heart health and weight management. Ways to include nuts and seeds in your daily diet are –
• Choosing breakfast foods that contain nuts and seeds.
• Sprinkling nuts and seeds throughout your salads and stir fries.
• Snacking on a handful of nuts and seeds through the day. Keep a packet in your office drawer or home pantry.